1968 Ford Bronco
1968 Ford Bronco
- Oregon Truck
- 302 V8
- Fresh Restoration
- Full Spec Sheet Below
(Please note: If you happen to be viewing this 1968 Ford Bronco on a website other than our Garage Kept Motors site, it's possible that you've only seen some of our many photographs of the SUV due to third-party website limitations. To be sure you access all the more than 145 photographs, as well as a short start-up and walk-around video, please go to our main website: Garage Kept Motors.)
“The world's first sport-utility vehicle” – Ford Corporate website
Here's the Bronco early history according to Ford: “In 1962, Ford began to extensively survey Jeep and International Harvester Scout owners to see what they liked and disliked about their vehicles. These findings were summarized in an internal memo on July 11, 1963 noting that both vehicles had “poor comfort, ride, noise and vibration qualities” and that the size and power of both were also unsatisfactory. These findings, indicating a gap in the market, went to the Product Planning Committee on October 23, 1963 with the recommendation for 'funds for further development of a Ford utility vehicle, code named Bronco.' A fascinating memo a week later had the subject line '1966 G.O.A.T' as its heading. The G.O.A.T. terminology was indicative of the desire to develop a Goes Over All Terrain vehicle while the document itself describes the drivability of the car.”
Offered here is a first-generation, 1968 Ford Bronco from Oregon, fully and professionally restored, respectfully upgraded, and in turn-key condition. As the extensive list of restoration details and comprehensive parts and systems upgrades included in this listing demonstrates, no aspect of this “World's First SUV” has been overlooked in the recently completed work. On every level, this is a top-flight restoration of an American classic vehicle.
Lunar Green is an original Bronco color with a slightly turquoise vibe. On this '68 restored Bronco, the exterior (and interior) paint finish is without flaw, the result of a frame-off, professional execution. As it would've been done at the factory, the application is uniform and complete, including window rails, door jambs, bottom side of the hood, firewall, grille surround, and tops of the fenders (and the hood-lock area) in the engine bay. Small fiberglass fender flares in black add to the Bronco's serious look. Silver paint in the grille and the Bronco-Sport, red “Ford” lettering is perfect, as is the “Ford” lettering on the tailgate. Chrome bumpers front and rear, as well as chrome trim items including the headlight bezels, door handles, and side mirrors, are flawless. The restrained factory badging—"289” designation and the “Bronco” script on the front fenders--is perfect as well. A black fabric removable top covers the cabin and cargo area. New 15x10 Indy® 101 polished aluminum rims are mounted with 33x12.50x15 BFGoodrich® KO2 All Terrain T/A raised white-letter tires.
Inside, ivory colored trim, paint, and upholstery in the proper original fashion is in place.mSeats (folding front buckets and rear bench with armrests) are upholstered in ivory vinyl in the Bronco's original pattern. Door trim inserts share this treatment. Floors have been treated with protective bed-lining spray to seal and protect the metal. A Bailie Built ® 6-point roll cage in black is mounted in the cabin area. (The glove box is hinged on the left to accommodate the roll-cage support.) A chrome-trimmed sport steering wheel with Ford-blue-oval center emblem frames the simple 100-mph speedometer. Switchgear is stock and a Bluetooth®-capable audio head unit replaced the stock factory-radio. The shifter for the C4 automatic transmission is column-mounted with the 4-wheel-drive transfer-case selector located on the floor. Virtually every surface in the cabin is fresh and new, yet completely consistent with the original.
Under the hood, the completely rebuilt 289-cubic-inch V8 in correct Ford-blue paint occupies a perfectly arranged, spotless engine bay. For details on all the power-related and underbody upgrades, please refer to the accompanying list. Viewed from below, the chassis is similarly pristine. The full-length, rear-side-exit, dual exhaust system and suspension upgrades are focal points.
The Bronco's original build and identification tag remains mounted. The original owner's manual is included in the sale.
While the more than 145 high-definition photographs and the short walk-around-and-startup video available on the GarageKeptMotors website showcase this '68 Bronco in detail from every angle, including from below, we expect and encourage in-person inspections at our Grand Rapids, Michigan showroom. Please call to arrange an appointment in advance as our showroom is not open to the public. And feel free to get in touch anytime by phone or email if you have questions.
The still-rising interest in first-generation Broncos—resulting from both the launch of the 2021 Bronco as well as the basic G.O.A.T. appeal of the original—has seen any number of restored Broncos come to market. These renewed SUVs should be judged on both their visual appeal and, perhaps more important, the quality of the restoration work. On both those measures, this Lunar Green example will receive the very highest marks.
• 302 V8 engine 2v
• Full length headers with dual exhaust
• Dana 30 front axle 3:50 gears
• Ford 9” rear axle 3:50 gears
• C4 auto transmission
• Power steering
• Power front disc brakes drum brakes in the rear
• 33x12.50x15 BF Goodrich KO2 tires
• 15x10 Indy 101 polished aluminum rims
• 6-point Bailie Built roll cage with 3-point shoulder belts
• Glovebox modification to clear roll cage
• Fenders flares front and rear
• Black Soft top with zip out windows
• Synchronizer electric wipers
• Bronco “Sport” grille trim
• Chrome bumpers with front and rear
• Bluetooth stereo
• Trailer hitch
• Urethane bedliner front to back and under the dash
• High flow aluminum radiator
New Parts and Restoration Details:
• Engine completely rebuilt bored .30 over everything reconditioned.
• New Engine components external; alternator, fuel pump, water pump, power steering pump, belts, hoses, thermostat, distributor, plugs, wires, carburetor, fuel line, sending units temp and oil, air cleaner, battery cables, starter, starter solenoid.
• Transmission rebuilt by Pine and 17th in Holland MI
• New Neutral safety switch
• OEM auto steering column rebuilt with new bushings, indictor, lever handle and signal switch
• New drivelines front and rear
• New axle bearings and seals front and rear
• New front and rear brakes
• Transfer case new bearing and seals
• Power disc brake conversion is new along with new spindles and wheel hardware
• New Power steering pump and lines
• Power steering box reconditioned
• New “Skyjacker” shocks front and rear
• New urethane body mounts
• New dual exhaust with full length headers
• OEM “1976” Bronco wire harness rebuilt and reconditioned all lights, gauges, switches operate.
• OEM seat frames sandblasted, powder coated and assembled with new foam and OEM parchment upholstery.
• New soft top
• 6 point roll cage manufactured by Bailie Built www.bailiebilt.com
• You tube cage test clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgyRtk-qhM8 This is the best cage on the market period!
• Dash was removed from the Bronco for restoration, painted with urethane Wimbledon white paint and reassembled. New dash items include wiper switch, headlight switch, heater pull cables, radio, glovebox liner, dash knobs.
• New body panels include hood, fenders, grille, tailgate, rocker panels and front floors.
• New door seals, window seal, door track felt and hardware.
• Heater box rebuilt with new heater core and control valve
• New grille chrome, door mirrors, door handles, fender scripts and antenna.
• New body fasteners and hardware